My first day wasn't too bad. we were picked up around 10:00 in the morning by Rafael, the HR person in charge of the program I'm in and he drove us (there are going to be up to 36 interns, 6 of us were here at the time) to get processed so that we could get our I.D. cards. After which he took us around the various camps showing us the ropes (there are eight camps). Then I was dropped off at the camp I work at to get introduced to my fellow workers. Afterwards one of my co-workers took me back to Patrick Henry Village (PHV) where my apartment is. All is well. Every time I went some place in a vehicle, the driver took a different route claiming it was faster (ha).
Heidelberg is a relatively small city. It is intertwined between mountains and valleys. I was told that there are about eight Germany camps mingled through vineyards, farm lands and city that the U.S. Army utilize and are making arrangement to return the facilities back over to the Germans. It really is quite beautiful. There is a castle (I am planning to visit soon) that was destroyed by the French years ago, the walls are 7 meters thick. You’ll just have to wait until I get more information on it.
The second day, the day didn’t go as well as planned. Not being fully processed in, the newbies have to carry around passports and orders that state that we are civilians and are authorized to work here. Some of the security guards look at the papers, say “Thank you” and then let us through with no hassle. Some question the papers and give us a big hassle.
This was the case on the bus I was on; the guard, questioned my papers and a small disagreement about the papers arose she tried to tell me that they were no good and that I needed a supervisor with me to sign me in, this of course delayed the bus, angered the driver, and ,as well as, make the rest of the passengers unhappy.
I also knew that the camp I was supposed to be at was only about ten minutes away from the camp I was staying in, and since this was the first camp that the bus came to, I figured that this was my camp I was supposed to get off at. Nothing looked familiar, but it had to be my camp. Of course being a newbie, new to the camps, new to the country, new to the language, and new to everything else that was around me (bet I stuck out like a sore thumb, eh) I was wrong.
I knew that I had a long wait as the buses run every hour. My excuse was that Rafael, who had been showing us round seemed to be going in circles pointing out the various sites and camps and kept mentioning “Thompkins Barracks”. I figured that I worked at Thompkins Barracks, of course I was mistaken. Thompkins Barracks is where Rafael works; I on the other had work in the opposite side of Heidelberg at a camp called Patton Barracks. Which is roughly 10 to 15 miles away or about six to seven bus stops in the opposite direction. Where I got off was in the middle of the loop. Having the word “Thompkins” stuck in my head by Rafael mentioning it so often was the only thing I could remember, I started asking the bus drivers if they were going to Thompkins they all told me no they were going to Patton. I finally was able to get onto the bus that was heading to Thompkins Barrack and guess what, it was the same driver that I had angered before. He just shook his head and said something in German (I think it was an insult, I have no idea) and what I did understand was "Oh, it's you". I made it to Thompkins and met another intern that was getting on the bus as I was getting off and I told him that I was confused. He had a phone so he called Rafael and we got everything straighten out. I was only two hours late my second day. I would say that is too bad.
I also knew that the camp I was supposed to be at was only about ten minutes away from the camp I was staying in, and since this was the first camp that the bus came to, I figured that this was my camp I was supposed to get off at. Nothing looked familiar, but it had to be my camp. Of course being a newbie, new to the camps, new to the country, new to the language, and new to everything else that was around me (bet I stuck out like a sore thumb, eh) I was wrong.
I knew that I had a long wait as the buses run every hour. My excuse was that Rafael, who had been showing us round seemed to be going in circles pointing out the various sites and camps and kept mentioning “Thompkins Barracks”. I figured that I worked at Thompkins Barracks, of course I was mistaken. Thompkins Barracks is where Rafael works; I on the other had work in the opposite side of Heidelberg at a camp called Patton Barracks. Which is roughly 10 to 15 miles away or about six to seven bus stops in the opposite direction. Where I got off was in the middle of the loop. Having the word “Thompkins” stuck in my head by Rafael mentioning it so often was the only thing I could remember, I started asking the bus drivers if they were going to Thompkins they all told me no they were going to Patton. I finally was able to get onto the bus that was heading to Thompkins Barrack and guess what, it was the same driver that I had angered before. He just shook his head and said something in German (I think it was an insult, I have no idea) and what I did understand was "Oh, it's you". I made it to Thompkins and met another intern that was getting on the bus as I was getting off and I told him that I was confused. He had a phone so he called Rafael and we got everything straighten out. I was only two hours late my second day. I would say that is too bad.
My third day, Wednesday, I got about 80% processed in, up to 90% Thursday, and today Friday I about 95 to 98% finished getting processed. Now all l have to do is to pass the security and get access to the computer network system, should only take one week to a week and a half. I have since made friends with the bus driver, he now speaks English (with a heavy German accent), but I can understand most of what he says. We laugh and joke about my first day riding the bus.
Germany is an experience that I will not forget nor would I want too.
Until the next time – may closed doors open and the opened ones always shine on you.
Always an adventure!
ReplyDelete